If you have a resident registration number in Korea, there is a social insurance number called SIN in Canada. This Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a required number to work for wages in Canada. In other words, without a SIN, you cannot work and earn your salary legally after you get a job in Canada.

Since the SIN is a 9-digit number used for identification purposes and is used for tax reporting and government identification, it is illegal to use someone else's number, and the employer must collect the employee's SIN and personal information after hiring the employee, issue the salary, and report the tax to the government.

For SINs, Canadian citizens, permanent residents, work Permit holders and Study Permit holders who have legal status to work in Canada may be issued through Service Canada. However, recently, it was difficult to get it issued by Service Canada due to COVID-19 and it was difficult to get proper wages, so the Immigration Bureau announced a new revision.

The Canadian Immigration Service has stated that Canadian employers may also pay employees with work permits or student permits that have not yet been issued a SIN.

You don't need a SIN when you first get hired and you can pay. However, employees are still required to apply for a SIN within three days of starting employment and to deliver it to the employer within three days of receipt.

As the immigration office has allowed us to pay without SIN, we can check further to see if the related wage payment is going well. Those who are identified will be examined by three main reasons: employers suspected of non-compliance, employers identified as non-compliance in the past, and finally random selection.

The validity period of the examination can be achieved at any time within six years of the first employment of the employee, and if the employee is treated unfairly at work, or if the employee has received a work permit through LMIA, you will see that he is following the rules of the initial LMIA application.

For example, if you work for the company that issued the LMIA, whether you are doing the right job, and whether your paycheck is smooth.

As this is valid for the first six years of employment, employers must ensure that the relevant documents are maintained for six years and that payments can be made without a SIN.