Since March 18, Canada has announced strong sanctions on its entry into Canada to prevent the spread of COVID-19. According to the initial announcement, it is difficult to enter Canada unless they are Canadian citizens, permanent residents and immediate family members, and the new policy has been updated several times since then. Due to the frequent changes in the policy, there were many questions about the entry of work permit and study permit holders, and there were some cases where they could not enter the country because they did not receive the updated entry information even after they were ready for departure. To make this more clear, on June 19, the Canadian government issued an updated detailed guideline on work permit holders' entry into Canada.

According to this announcement, foreign workers who are currently allowed to enter Canada must carry a work permit. The Work Permit should not have expired, and upon re-entry to Canada, the employer specified in the Work Permit must prove that he intends to hire immediately. If you have an open work permit like a working holiday or a PGWP holder, you must bring a job offer to enter Canada and hire them immediately after self-price.

If you do not currently have work permit, you must apply online and obtain approval, and you can enter the country by preparing approved documents and job offers. In addition to the above cases, entry may be possible after special permission from the Canadian Border Guard (CBSA). Exceptions that fall here are usually limited to those who engage in jobs that are essential to Canada. The required occupations in Canada are related to health, safety and food production, and we announced that we will proceed, approve and enter the country earlier than other occupations. These areas include emergency service workers, students entering the country for health education, marine transport workers, medical and maintenance workers, and equipment delivery workers for medical treatment.

Regardless of how you enter Canada, 14 days of self-price should be kept for everyone who enters Canada, so if you plan to enter Canada or plan to work after entering Canada, you should make a plan in advance of 14 days of self-price period.

Although there is no mention of an extension after the initial announcement of the entry ban on June 30, there is a possibility that the entry to Canada will also be extended, considering that restrictions on travel to Canada and the United States have been extended until July 21.

Still, Canadian foreign and employer LMIA (employment permit) and Work Permit (employment permit) can be submitted continuously during this period, and the Immigration Bureau continues to do so. However, it is recommended that you prepare in advance because many progress may be delayed from the previous progress period or additional document requests may come.